At my blessingway, I was also gifted a beautiful, approachable book on smudging called The Smudging and Blessings Book, Inspirational Rituals to Cleanse and Heal by Jane Alexander. It offers basic directions for a self-clearing using a smudge stick:
- Light the end of a smudge stick and let it burn until the tip starts to smolder. Then extinguish the flame so the smudge stick smokes.
- Call on the spirits of the smudge to cleanse and protect you saying, "Sacred sage, drive away all negativity from my heart; take away everything unworthy and impure."
- First, waft the smoke towards your heart. Then take the smudge smoke over your head, down your arms, and down the front of your body. Imagine the smoke lifting away all the negative thoughts, emotions and energies that have become attached to you.
- Breathe in the smudge, visualizing the smoke purifying your body from within.
- Bring the smoke down the back of your body toward the ground. Visualize the last vestiges of negativity being taken back into the earth, and away into the air.
- As you smudge, imagine yourself being surrounded by gentle, loving energy - breathe in positivity, courage and love.