As the Garden Grows
On Mother's Day, we planted a family garden in my mother's backyard. One month later, we're starting to see the fruits of our labor.
The zucchini vine has staked it's claim and is beginning to bud.
Our vegetable garden, which includes eggplant, green beans, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and a variety of herbs, is beginning to produce.
And big, beautiful bunches of collard greens reach toward the sky!
We've already harvested one crop of collards - enough to feed two households well - with another close on its heels. I prepare them like my sister's beau, Tim, who hails from North Carolina. They are the best I've ever had!
- cover the bottom of a big pot with bacon & fry it up
- break the bacon into pieces and cook the collards right on top, in the bacon grease, for 10-15 seconds
- add about 1/4-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (I prefer white wine vinegar for a slightly milder taste)
- add water to cover greens
- add 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- add approx. 1/4 cup sugar
- cook about 2 hours
- add additional vinegar & sugar to taste
As the garden grows, so do my meal plans. Chilled Cucumber Yogurt Soup. Grilled Vegetable Paninis. Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate Chips & Walnuts...
What are your favorite summertime, garden-fresh meals? I'd love to hear!
Labels: My Nest