2.01.2010

Warm Play Dough

After the winter break, my littlest chick began attending a new preschool two mornings a week. I was sold on it the minute we walked into the classroom to check it out. It was a very cold morning, especially for us here in the south, and as we started peeling off our layers, the teacher pulled out a tub of homemade play dough. It was purple and sparkly and, best of all, warm! The perfect way to thaw out frozen, little fingers.

That first morning, as I looked around the room, I saw familiar play things... a wooden kitchen, kid-sized musical instruments, play silks and wooden blocks. We stayed for story time, music time and a group snack - which parents alternate bringing and should be whole food based. I knew we belonged there.

The gentle, nurturing Ms. Glenna has pulled out her magical warm play dough many more times. My gal loves how soft and manipulative it is. When I pick her up, she exclaims, "We had warm play dough again!" And she draws out the "again," her voice rising with delight.

I've never had much success with homemade play dough, so I asked for the recipe and we now have our own tub of pink, sparkly dough at home. Both my chicks are enchanted... and so is this Mama Bird.

Sparkly Play Dough
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
2 T oil
1 c. water
food coloring (or a natural dye) until desired shade
glitter until desired sparklyness

Mix all ingredients together, cook over medium heat until dough forms, stirring constantly. Dump onto wax paper and knead a bit. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Warm in microwave before each use for a cozy treat.

3 comments:

Rose said...

Whooopie!!

Ever since you told me about this, I have been wanting to try it!

cathy said...

one of my favorite memories was making homemade stuff with my mom.... I have the receipe around somwhere for my mom's homemade pretzels. they ere so easy and amazing to make great shapes... easy on the salt and you have a nutrious goldmine. fun animal shapes and all. I will find it for you, love ya!!! Cathy

Kathie said...

That is the same recipe i've been using for the last year. Instead of food coloring tho I've been using kool-aid mix (just dump it in). it not only colors the dough but smells YUMMY!