6.28.2010

Taste of Summer: Blueberries


On Memorial Day, we met up with some friends and family to pick blueberries at a nearby organic farm. It was so very hot. Everyone began to drop from the relentless heat. Not me; I kept on picking. My sister and I, another keep-going-despite-all-odds kind of gal picked near 6 lbs and then decided we'd better stop. At $7 per pound, this was not an economically-friendly endeavor. It was an experience and one I enjoyed immensely.
Most of our berries went to make blueberry jam (so good warm on top of vanilla yogurt and homemade granola). We netted 5 jars, split between my sister and me, the extra going to Mom. The rest of the berries were gobbled up in handfuls straight from the fridge. And just like that, they were gone.

So recently, when blueberries (and raspberries and blackberries) saw seasonal low prices in the range of 2 pints for $3, I filled a shopping cart full. And now, I have a pantry full of jam... 5 jars of each berry, as well as 5 peach and 5 remaining strawberry. And just for extra measure, I froze a gallon-bag of blueberries in hopes that this sweet taste of summer might live on in muffins and pancakes all year long.

2 comments:

elizabeth ~ so wabi sabi said...

wow, that is a lot of jam. good for you. I would have been picking like crazy too. We love bluebetties. blueberries are just coming into season here. we were invited to pick at a local farm, but we will try to pick the wild huckleberries on the mountains first.

Rose said...

Love all the jam! We ate fresh wild raspberries straight off the bush today at Bear Mountain State Park!! The kids went nuts for them!