2.14.2011

A Whole Lot of Love


Happy Valentine's Day! My family has been celebrating our love all weekend long... On Friday, my dear husband and father surprised the gals of the household with beautiful, hand-strung orchid and frangipani leis, imported strait from Hawaii! They smell so very divine. Red tulips and candles grace our dining table, compliments of my mother. And a bottle of Cupcake Vineyards Red Velvet wine awaits for tonight's meal.

This morning, I served my sweetheart Chocolate Swirl coffee in bed. And my little sweeties enjoyed handmade scones, strawberries & whipped cream and chocolate milk. I feel so blessed to be graced with so much love in my life. XOXO


Sweetheart Scones
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
3 Tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, oats and dried cherries. In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, egg, vanilla and buttermilk until combined. Stir wet ingredients into flour mixture until evenly moistened. Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls, 2 inches apart, onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake approx. 15 minutes, until golden brown, rotating sheet half way through. Cool on wire rack and store in airtight container. Makes 9 scones. (adapted from Martha Stewart's Raisin & Oat Scones recipe.)

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Your lei is beautiful. Can't wait to try your scone recipe!

catching caterpillars said...

WOW... what a BUNCH of SWEETNESS! love it! and I LOVE cupcake wine!