Here are my top picks for a basic kit:
- The Smithsonian: Bird-watcher, a great book, full of easy-to-follow bird watching activities for kids of all ages.
- A Pocket Naturalist Guide for identifying the birds in your region.
- A set of binoculars. Small, lightweight, kid-friendly ones are great for toddlers and preschoolers; older kids will appreciate the real thing!
- A small, blank book and pencils for recording and sketching spotted birds.
* Bonus Gift Idea: Consider a "family gift" of a bird feeder and birdseed to attract more feathered friends to your backyard!