6.17.2014

Summer Kitchen :: Roasted Veggies

I'm all about keeping meals as simple as possible in the summertime. We spend a lot of evenings swimming in the pool and cooking on the grill. And there is so much yummy produce to enjoy.
Lately, I've gotten into the routine of roasting a couple of big trays of veggies once a week. I stock up at the farm market on whatever is in season and on sale. Them, at home, I wash everything, slice or chop it up, and spread it out on parchment-lined baking trays. Drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper, I roast 'em in a 400-degree oven for up to one hour, depending on the veggies. Cherry tomatoes are done when they start to wrinkle and melt into a syrupy consistency. Other goodies will brown and caramelize.
I usually always do one tray of cherry tomatoes and sliced onions (it's hard for me not to sit down with a  spoon and just eat them all as soon as they come out of the oven). The other tray is a mash up of whatever else I have... onions, peppers, carrots, squash, tomatoes, corn, potatoes, cauliflower... anything!

So, once I've let them cool, I pack everything up into glass storage bowls in the fridge. And then we enjoy them all week. I top them with eggs, tuck them into wraps, sprinkle them on salads, use them as a quick side dish, or combine them with brown rice or quinoa for a quick meal. Speaking of which, while you roast your veggies, make a big batch of rice, or whatever grain you like, too. When it's done, pack it up in your fridge as well, and use it in all the same ways as the vegetables: in salads, wraps, etc. I typically bake a loaf of sourdough bread* on the same day too... and viola, I've got easy, fast food for the rest of the week!

{*Note: This is the recipe I've been using for my sourdough bread. I keep my starter in the fridge and have an alarm set on my phone to remind me to take it out and feed it the morning before I bake. I feed it twice, then make my dough before I go to bed. It rises overnight and then is ready for baking by mid morning.}

No comments: