3.25.2009

A Return to Me

Tomorrow is the the new moon, and the beginning of the astrological new year. It's the moon for fresh starts, turning over a new leaf or starting a new phase. I couldn't be more ready for this. Over the past few days, I've felt like I was at the end of a marathon, pushing myself to keep up the pace, knowing the finish line is near. I'm ready to cross that line and enter a new space.

So, in the spirit of the Aries New Moon, I'm setting a couple of new year's resolution-like intentions to help with a return to me.

A Return to Journaling In the time before kids, I used to journal every day. I'd start my morning with a cup of hot coffee and a blank page, writing free-thought morning pages Julia Cameron style, as described in The Artists' Way. I do miss this. I don't know if I can pull off morning pages again at this stage in my mothering game, but certainly I can find the time to fill three pages a day. Unloading all the random thoughts filling my head would be like a little spring cleaning for my mind & soul. (Thanks for the reminder, Erin.)

A Return to Yoga
Selby takes a yoga class every Thursday...what about mommy?

Seems everywhere I turn lately, someone is talking about yoga. I miss this too! The stretching, the union of body, mind & soul...I need these things right now. So I've been thinking about how I can make this work. At the YMCA the other day, I picked up a flyer for a yoga class- it's not the authentic studio/practice I'd envisioned. But it is yoga; and I do already have a membership; and there is child care. I'm going to give it a go on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.

I hope finding, no, making time for these mama-centered activities will help this mama return to her center. For as we all know, a happy mama makes for a happy home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have also made honest attempts at filling the pages of my hand written journal. It is really hard! For about three days, I jotted something down that I was grateful for. A sentence or two when the moment struck. Eventually, I surrendered to not remembering to do this and began to really value the writing I find time to do in my blog. If you find it hard to write three pages, try, just jotting down an idea or something you are grateful for that is so small you think you may forget when you do finally get to that computer. From my experience, three pages is a huge amount of writing! with two children to care for at the same time. Not that you can't do it, because if you can find the time I know you'd be able. However it works out with journaling, I hope you find a rhythm with it that works. Maybe you could have a private blog? to expel all the words in you head that don't fit into this space? I have one of those and its cathartic! :) Good writing.

eringoodman said...

beautiful and inspiring (as always ;-).

Anonymous said...

I am inspired by your ability to recognize what you need. Give yourself compassion as you build these practices into your routine.

Thank you for such a great idea on the treasure mapping...I'm excited for tomorrow's new beginning!