9.23.2013

Nourishing Community + Lemongrass Ginger Tea

I always think of Autumn as a season for nourishing community... potlucksmulti-family campoutsharvest festivals. And homemade food & craft swaps! My village recently kicked off our swapping season and, as always, I was enchanted by the magic and beauty this group brings to my world. My two best (ahem, only) late-summer producers - lemongrass and African blue basil - took center stage in my homemade and handcrafted offerings: Lemongrass Ginger Tea [recipe below], African Blue Basil & Lavender Pesto, Fresh Lemongrass Bundles, Herbal Bath Bouquets, and Lavender & Lemongrass Hand Soap in mason jar pumps (made with lemongrass essential oil, not from my garden).
And for the first time, my 9-year-old gal joined in the swap, exchanging her homemade Almond Joy Granola and Mini Fairy Garden Kits like a pro. Our first kid-swapper... I'm so proud!
 

"We are all starved for connection… with our food… with each other… with our bodies and what we put into them. Food swaps bring it all together, building community around wholesome, homemade and homegrown food."

 
*Read more I've written about food swapping here and here; and learn how to host your own here.

Fresh Lemongrass & Ginger Tea

makes 2 quarts
 
2 quarts water
1 handful fresh lemongrass leaves & stalks, roughly chopped & bruised (about 1 cup)
3-4 thick slices fresh ginger (you don't even have to peel it, just wash it)
local honey (or sweetener of choice), to taste
 
Bring water to boil in a large stockpot. Add lemongrass and ginger; boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Remove lemongrass & ginger (throw them in the compost). Sweeten to taste.
 
Serve iced, or hot with a knotted lemongrass stick/stirrer.
 
Store in refrigerator for up to one week.

No comments: